Wednesday, May 14, 2008

now i'm on the move...

As usual, I’m in despite need of done laundry. And with the washer and dryer available in the Gateway apartments, I decided to get cracking (kraken!) I moved all my dirty laundry, consisting of about half my bedding all my clothes with the exception of some socks and my snazzy dress stuff, and one small box of books and assorted things (my TV and my Wii). On my way out I noticed my neighbor, a young woman who raises her 3 girls with her young husband and who I’ve often seen chain smoking on the walkways and in their white minivan, was outside on the phone. She asked me if I was moving and my first thought was ‘Oh crap she caught me! How do I lie out of this one?!’ That’s not healthy and I decided to concede the point. We had a short conversation of introductions. I asked her how she liked Texas from Kansas and she apologized for when her 6 year old ran by ringing my door bell over and over. It was funny to hear her talk because she sounded like her jaw was perpetually clenched. And that’s how I met my neighbor of almost six months: Casey, the taking-a-year-off-from-work elementary school teacher from Kansas. We both probably still regard each other as a little unusual.

No comments: